Monday, February 9, 2015

Margaret Lucy Long Osborne (1856-1930)

Maggie, Newly Widowed, in 1885
My beautiful great-grandmother Margaret Lucy Long Osborne, AKA Maggie, was a mere 29 years old when she lost her husband, Abner McDowell Osborne; hence the widow's weeds in this picture of her. Abner, known as Mac, was a conductor for the Northern Pacific, and he died in 1885 in Missoula, Montana, trying to stop a runaway train. Maggie was left to raise four little girls on her own and did a bang-up job by all accounts.

Little Alma Osborne
Mac had been married before he met Maggie, but his first wife, Frances, died in Laramie, Wyoming, in 1876. She probably died from some illness, but the newspaper account doesn't give the cause of death. Frances left behind a thirteen-month-old daughter named Alma, above, shown wearing mourning clothes, poor little thing. Such tragedies were common in those days, but I can't imagine that the grief of losing a loved one was any easier.

Clockwise from left: Julia, Pearl, Alma,
Georgia Osborne, circa 1900



The Osborne women, mother and daughters, were very close. After Mac died, Maggie and the girls moved to Colorado to be near her sister, Julia Long Roberts. Eventually (mid 1890s?), Maggie and the girls moved to Los Angeles, along with Maggie's mother, Margaret Matilda Armstrong Long.
The girls, Julia (my maternal grandmother), Pearl, Alma, and Georgia, all lived very close to each other as adults and raised their families together. They had huge family gatherings, and Grandma Maggie was the beloved center of it all.


1919 Osborne Family Gathering
Maggie Behind My Mother's Gigantic Bow


Maggie circa 1920s













Although Maggie's life could be painted as tragic—she lost her father when she was six, her husband when she was twenty-nine, and one of her brothers ten years after that—she found the strength to carry on, on her own, raising her daughters to be strong, loving women who saw the joy in life. I know that she was a woman of deep faith, and that must have sustained her through the tragedies, but there was something special in her spirit that made her look at the blessings in her life rather than dwell on the losses. I suspect that Maggie's influence was part of the reason my mother was so unflaggingly upbeat in her own life. Maggie died at 74 in 1930, having left behind a legacy of love and faith. How I wish I had known her!

2 comments:

  1. Maggie’s story is so compelling--she was such a strong woman (like her mother) and raised such elegant, smart, interesting, and equally strong daughters. I find it comforting that her girls remained close, to her and to each other.

    Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos and stories! What a gift to your immediate and extended family--I look forward to more!

    Cousin Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cousin Terri! I finally got around to transferring some of my Facebook posts to my blog. Some of them are very short, but I'm resisting the urge to edit them, since I'd never get them posted if I did that. I'm just going to have to add more information in new posts. Thanks for reading and commenting. xxxooo, Cousin mmm

      Delete