Monday, February 9, 2015

John Arthur McClellan

My paternal great-grandfather, John Arthur McClellan, was born in La Grange, Texas, in 1852. The son of a newspaper man, John Arthur wasn't exactly career driven. He was a farm hand, had his own farm for a while, and then picked up the tinner's trade. After his wife, Margaret Young McClellan, died in 1908, he spent the rest of his years living with his children in Atlanta, GA; then Waco, TX; and finally La Verne, CA, where he died in 1935. He drove his daughter-in-law, my Grandma Mac, crazy when he lived with them; she came from hardworking German stock, and I think she just didn't get him. His daughter-in-law, my Grandma Pearl, adored him though, judging from the tone of her letters to him. He looks pretty affable in the pictures I have of him. So he didn't set the world on fire. I'll bet he could tell a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment